LAMB NECK BREDIE WITH GREEN BEANS & AVOCADO
- 25 kg lamb knuckle pieces or lamb neck
- 45 ml (3 tbsp.) oil to fry
- 15 ml (1 tbsp.) meat spice
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 x 410 g can chopped tomatoes
- 5 ml (1 tsp.) sugar
- 250 ml (1 cup) red wine (optional)
- 500 ml (2 cups) water
- 1 x 50 g packet brown onion soup mix
- 300 g thin green beans, to serve
- Baby spinach leaves, to serve
- 1 ripe avocado
- Preheat oven to 160°
- Heat half of the frying oil in a large, heavy based saucepan or cast-iron casserole dish on the stove.
- Pat the meat dry with paper towel and fry in batches until golden brown. Remove each batch with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Season the browned meat with meat spice. Brown the onion in the same pan using the rest of the oil.
- When golden, soft and glazed, about 2 – 3 minutes, add the chopped tomatoes, sugar, red wine, water and soup. If not using the wine, add an additional 250 ml of water.
- Bring to a slow simmer. If not using an ovenproof saucepan, transfer to a large ovenproof casserole dish with a lid. Cook until the meat is tender and falls off the bone, about 1 ½ – 2 hours.
- To serve, blanch the green beans and toss through the casserole with a couple of handfuls of baby spinach, and sliced avocado.