GRILLED AVOCADO & BABY GEM SALAD
- 2 avocados, halved, pitted and peeled
- ½ lemon
- Avocado or olive oil
- 3 heads little gem lettuce, ends trimmed and cut in half
- 3 spring onions, finely sliced
- Toasted almond flakes to garnish
For the tahini-yogurt dressing:
- ½ ripe avocado, peeled and chopped
- ⅔ cup plain (fat free or low) Greek-style or plain yoghurt
- ⅓ cup tahini
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons avocado oil or extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons water or more as needed to achieve desired consistency
- 1 ½ tablespoons honey or maple syrup
- Sesame seeds to garnish
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a mixing bowl, whizz all dressing ingredients with a stick blender until fully incorporated and smooth. (You can also use a food processor).
- Preheat a grill or grill pan over high heat.
- Brush flat sides of avocado with oil, a squeeze of lemon juice and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Place oiled sides of avocado down on grill or grill pan and sear for 3-4 minutes.
- Remove the avocados from the heat and transfer to a plate.
- To assemble: Arrange lettuce leaves and avocado halves onto a large platter and drizzle with dressing. Scatter with flaked almonds. Season with salt and pepper and finish with a sprinkling of sesame seeds.
- Serve with a crusty French loaf or ciabatta