CORN FRITTERS WITH SMASHED AVOCADO SALSA
- 3 cups frozen corn
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 150 g (1 cup) self-raising flour
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 30 g (1 punnet) fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 5 ml (1 tsp.) salt
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- Vegetable oil, for shallow frying
- Fresh coriander, to serve
- Sweet chilli sauce, to serve
- 2 medium avocados, peeled and stoned
- 1 small red onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- 30 ml (2 tbsp.) lemon juice
- 30 ml (2 tbsp.) fresh coriander, finely chopped
- To make the fritters, combine half the corn with the eggs and flour in the jug of a stick blender and whizz until creamy and combined. In a bowl add the remaining corn, onion and the chopped coriander and mix well with the creamed egg mixture. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a medium frying pan. Cook heaped tablespoons of the batter, one at a time, until browned both sides and cooked through, about 3 – 5 minutes per side. Drain on absorbent paper. Keep cooked fritters warm in a warmer or oven at a low temperature until serving time.
- To make the salsa, combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mash lightly with a fork to combine.
- Serve fritters topped the avocado salsa and drizzled with sweet chilli sauce. Garnish with fresh coriander.