Cheesy Pap & Sweetcorn Squares with Avocado Guacamole
- 200 g maize meal, preferably coarse braai pap
- 750 ml (3 cups) water + extra 250ml (1 cup)
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) salt
- 410 g whole corn kernels, drained
- 100 g Parmesan cheese
- 60 g butter
- Avocado or olive oil to fry
- 2 ripe avocados, peeled and stoned
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 15 g (½ punnet) fresh coriander plus a little extra for garnish
- 1 tomato, deseeded and chopped
- 1 chilli, deseeded and chopped (optional)
- 3- 4 spring onions, finely sliced
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- Grease and line a baking tray.
- To make the pap squares; In a medium size pot bring the 3 cups of water to a rolling boil and add the salt. In a separate bowl mix the maize meal with the remaining 1 cup of water stir well to make a paste and ensure there are no dry patches of maize meal. Add to the boiling water, and quickly stir using a whisk until smooth. Close the pot for about 3 minutes until mixture has thickened. Add corn kernels and stir to combine. Simmer covered on low heat for 20-25 minutes, stirring frequently using a wooden spoon.
- Remove from the heat and stir through the Parmesan cheese and butter. Turn the pap out onto the lined baking tray and use the back of a large wooden spoon to flatten the mixture to approximately 3 cm thick. Cover lightly with a plastic wrap and allow to cool for 30 minutes. Transfer to the fridge for 1-2 hours until cold and firm.
- Turn the cold slab of pap out onto a chopping board and cut into squares. Shallow fry the squares in batches in 1-2 cm of hot oil, until golden brown, turn and fry each side. Transfer to a plate with kitchen paper, drain and keep warm whilst frying the remaining squares.
- For the guacamole, mash the avocados with a fork until smooth. Add the remaining ingredients and mix to combine.
- To serve arrange the pap squares on a platter and serve with the guacamole.