Braai Snoek with Avocado & Salsa Dressing
- Avocado or olive oil to drizzle
- 800 g snoek
- 2-3 stalks thyme, picked
- 30 – 45 ml (2 – 3 tbsp) honey
- Juice and zest of 1 orange
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 ripe avocados, peeled and stoned
- 2 – 3 ripe tomatoes, deseeded and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 15 g (½ punnet) fresh parsley or coriander plus a little extra for garnish
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and chopped (optional)
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) red wine vinegar
- 125 ml (½ cup) avocado or olive oil
- Lemon wedges to serve
- Roti to serve
- Preheat oven to 200˚C or prepare the coals on a braai. Drizzle oil over a large piece of aluminium foil. In a small bowl combine the thyme, honey, orange juice and zest, and season well.
- Pat the fish dry with kitchen paper and place skin side down on the foil, baste with the honey orange mixture. If cooking in the oven, place the fish on a baking tray in the preheated oven and cook for 10 – 12 minutes. If cooking on a braai, place the foil directly onto the braai grid. When the fish has turned white, approximately – 8-10 minutes, (depending on the heat of the coals) turn the fish and baste again with the honey mixture. Cook for a further 2- 3 minutes until the fish flakes easily when pressed with a fork.
- To make the salsa: slice the avocados and set aside. Combine all the salsa ingredients in a bowl.
- Serve the fish on a platter, arrange slices of avocado and drizzle with the salsa dressing, lemon wedges and extra flat leaf parsley. Serve with roti.