AVOCADO, SPINACH & RICOTTA MEATBALLS
For an eggless option, omit the egg and replace with 1 whole mashed avocado
- 2 cups baby spinach, rinsed
- 500 g ground beef mince
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- ½ cup ricotta cheese
- ⅓ cup mashed avocado
- 2 tablespoons minced or finely chopped onion
- Zest of 1 large lemon
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Blanch the spinach in boiling water, drain and squeeze out as much water as possible. Chop the spinach.
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl, mix until thoroughly combined.
- Using a 1 ½ tablespoon measure ice cream scoop, make about 25 balls and place them on the greased baking sheet, about 4 cm apart (wet hands help in shaping smooth balls). If you do not have an ice cream scoop, simply use a heaped tablespoon.
- Brush the tops of meatballs with a little avocado/olive oil to prevent drying out in the oven, place on a baking sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes.
- Cook in batches until all done.
- Serve meatballs with Greek style yoghurt and fresh lemon wedges.