AVOCADO CHOCOLATE TRUFFLES
- 300 g good quality dark chocolate (not baking chocolate)
- 1 medium to small avocado, mashed
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder, for rolling (optional)
- 2 tablespoons desiccated coconut
- 1 tablespoon chopped nuts
- Melt the chocolate, vanilla extract and pinch of salt in the top of a double boiler, until completely smooth. (Or you can use an oven safe bowl over a small saucepan for this.)
- If using a large avocado, only use half the avo to start with. Mash the avocado with a fork until no lumps are visible, you should have roughly ¾ – 1 cup of mashed avo. Stir the avocado into the melted chocolate mixture until smooth and thickened. Place in the fridge to set for 20 minutes, or until slightly firm to the touch.
- Once the mixture has been chilled and is slightly firm, use a tablespoon to scoop the chocolate into 12 balls. Place them on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Roll each ball between the palms of your hands to create a smooth, rounded surface. (Be warned: this can get messy!)
- Place the 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder , or coconut or nuts each into a small bowl, and roll each truffle into the topping to coat.