Avocado & Bobotie Rice Salad with Roasted Grapes
- 500 g brown basmati rice, cooked
- 1 x 410 g can brown lentils, drained
- 1 large brown onion, peeled and sliced
- A drizzle of avocado or olive oil
- 30 ml (2 tbsp.) Turmeric
- 30 ml (2 tbsp.) mild curry powder
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 100 ml water
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 15 ml (1 tbsp.) apricot jam
- Chopped coriander to garnish
- Toasted almond flakes to garnish
- 2 avocados, stoned, peeled and quartered
- Lemon wedges to serve
- 150 g green grapes
- 2- 3 tbsp. honey
- Preheat oven to 200˚C and place the grapes on a baking tray, add a drizzle of the honey. Roast until tender and slightly charred, about 10 minutes.
- To make the Avocado Bobotie salad: combine the basmati rice and lentils in a bowl and set aside.
- In a frying pan, sauté the onion in the oil until softened, add the spices and garlic, and sauté for a further 2 -3 minutes. Pour in the water and whisk in the lemon juice, zest, apricot jam, cook until the jam melts and forms a sauce. Remove from the heat and pour half the sauce over the rice and lentils, toss to coat the rice.
- Arrange the bobotie rice on a platter and add the avocado quarters, garnish with chopped coriander, flaked almonds and the roasted grapes.
- Serve with extra sauce and lemon wedges.