Unique ripening behaviour
- The fruit does not soften on the tree, although it is physiologically mature.
- Maturity tests are carried out regularly at pack-houses.
- For good eating quality, avocados should contain more than 10 % oil. (Remember that the oils in the avocado are mainly polyunsaturated oils, and contain no cholesterol).
- Avocados with a high oil content, i.e. picked towards the end of a cultivar’s season will soften faster than early fruit with low oil content.
- Softening begins at the round end of the fruit then continues up to the stem end.