- Heat the oil in a heavy saucepan, sauté the onion and garlic for 5 minutes until translucent, add the leeks and potatoes and toss. Season well with sea salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Reduce heat, add the thyme, cover and cook the veggies over a low heat for 10 minutes until soft but not coloured.
- Uncover, add the stock and bring to the boil, simmer for 5-8 minutes until the potatoes are just cooked and soft when pierced with a sharp knife.
- Take care not to overcook or the soup will lose its flavour and freshness.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly, add the chopped avocado.
- Blend in a jug blender or with a stick blender until smooth.
- Serve warm or cold.
AVOCADO VICHYSSOISE SOUP
- 2 ripe avocados, peeled and chopped
- 50 g avocado or olive oil
- 1 small white onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 300 g leeks, white part only, washed and sliced
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and diced
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, off the stalk and chopped
- 1 litre good quality chicken or vegetable stock